Friday, August 22, 2008

It's a small world

A few weeks ago I was visiting teaching Merl Young.  She is usually quiet, but that day she talked quite a bit to me.  We started talking about quilting (which she is wonderful at) and it led to how she learned to quilt and she started talking about her youth.  She mentioned riding a bus to Delta from a small community and that she and her family and the Nielson boys would have a great time on the bus.  They would get into trouble and that one Nielson boy even tried to kiss her and she gave him a whopper of a hit instead.  I laughed and laughed and then asked her where she grew up. She said Leamington.  Then I told her my grandpa was Merritt Nielson and also grew up in Leamington and she said that is the family she was talking about.  The boy who tried to kiss her was Sterling, my Grandpa's brother.  We had a talk about them  and how small the world is. When I got home I called my grandpa and he reminisced as well.  It was quite fun.  He called Sterling and they had a good laugh.  That laugh was important.  This last week Uncle Sterling passed away.  I can't help but think what a small world we live in with connections everywhere.  I can't wait to visit teach Merl again and hear any other memories she may have.  

3 comments:

It all began here said...

What a sweet story, and reminder of how we can connect and love the sisters in our ward!

Janette said...

Small world, once we get to know each other. My mother grew up in Delta. There's probably another connection in there somewhere!

Georgette said...

What a sweet story! Memories are great to hold on to when we have loved ones pass on. Even while they are living, such as me babysitting your older brother and sister--small world! :)